Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Support Group

I decided to go to the monthly support group tonight. Overall, it went pretty well. I'm not really at liberty to talk about much because there's this 'what happens in support group, stays in support group' rule. We had a dietitian/nutritionist come in as the guest speaker. It was nice to listen to her talk, and kind of reminded me that everyone is so different in their surgery journey so just because my body can't handle a particular food right now, there's nothing wrong with me. The general consensus of the group was that everyone is so different so just because someone can handle a certain food, not everyone who had that surgery can. Just because I can't handle a certain food doesn't mean that someone else won't be able to stomach it. (No pun intended, haha.) Seems like we all agree that pasta and breads are the devil however.

Speaking of, I tried bread for the first time a couple weeks ago. I really wanted an egg salad sandwich and my ever supportive husband made some while I ran our yard sale. I got one slice of bread and even toasted it. I figured if I can handle tortilla chips, crackers, etc, toast would be better than a normal slice of bread. Well I was dead wrong! I took one bite and felt so sick to my stomach! Won't be making that mistake again!

It's always interesting to see the people who come to support group. I think I've always been the youngest one there, although not always by a lot. Tonight there was a girl who looked younger than me and she's scheduled to have surgery in a few months. I really wanted to befriend her, but didn't want to come off as some kind of creep.

One of the things we do at the start of group is go around and give a little introduction. Tonight I was feeling a bit brave, so I passed this picture around. I got a lot of applause and compliments. I didn't do it for that, but I want to let those people who are there and haven't had surgery, just how amazing this can be. Individual results vary, but if I can do this, anyone can! I want to be an inspiration for people. I still cannot believe what a difference 100 pounds can make!


No comments:

Post a Comment