Friday, February 10, 2012

Another One Bites The Dust!

Thursday I had an endoscopy. I was super scared and on the verge of tears because I was so nervous. It was another one of those little hurdles I must jump on my way to surgery. I wasn't able to drive myself home after the procedure so my ever supporting mom waited with my little boy.

We arrived by 10 am, and was scheduled to go back to the procedure room at 11 am. I had filled out all of my paperwork at home, so I got to my room fairly quick. Lots of standard questions and what not and then it was time to change. Fun fun. I had to take my shoes and shirt off and was given this sexy hospital gown to wear.

I had to take my wedding rings off as well as take my nose piercing out. I was pretty concerned that the hole would close up. (In 2008 I had my nose pierced as well and after a couple months had to take it out. It closed up completely within an hour.) Shortly after this it was time for the IV. I don't think I've mentioned this, but I have a huge needle phobia. (Yes I have tattoos. Yes I have piercings. It's so not the same.)

Ouch! I must say that it didn't hurt nearly as bad as a tattoo or piercing, but still, it wasn't fun. I think it was mostly because the tape hurt and it would sometimes tug on my skin and there wasn't much room for the tube to move. Even though it was slightly uncomfortable, the worst part (so far!) was just waiting and waiting and waiting. Luckily, I am part of a really fantastic group on Facebook and the other members managed to keep me company while I waited.

After what seemed like an eternity, I was finally wheeled back to the procedure room. I remember waiting outside and was freezing cold. It was odd as normally I am not that cold. But I guess when you're laying there in a paper thin hospital gown you tend to feel the cold more than normal. The nurse asked a million questions to make sure I knew who I was and if I knew what was going on, etc. She ended up asking where I was from and if I knew so and so. Apparently she worked with my mother in law at one point. Small world.

This is where details get kind of hazy. I remember them asking me to bite down on a mouth guard, and the nurse mentioning that she was now putting something into my IV. My eyelids get very heavy. Next thing I know, I'm awake in the procedure room and my nurse asks "That wasn't so bad was it?" It wasn't that bad in all honesty. The worst parts were the nasty throat numbing spray (seriously, barf) and then having some bits of my memory wiped out. (Which, I realize it's probably a good thing I don't remember the actual procedure. I mean, a tube was shoved down my throat.) I remember being awake after the endo in the procedure room, but I don't remember being wheeled back to my room.

I was in my room for about a half hour after when I was given the okay to leave. The doctor came in and said that they did remove something because it looked like I had some irritation in my stomach. I also have a small hiatal hernia, but that can and most likely be repaired during surgery. I should be hearing back with the results from the biopsy later this week or early next week. Fingers crossed it's nothing major.

All in all, it really wasn't that bad. I hope I don't need another one, but if I do, I know what to expect and won't worry so much. I am so thankful to my mom for driving me and watching my son, and I am so very thankful for all of the hilarious women who kept me company on Facebook while I waited and waited in the hospital. :)

Next stop will be my psychiatric evaluation on Tuesday. I really wasn't too nervous about that, but then I received a packet of paperwork from the office. So many questions already, and I haven't even talked to the doctor! They said I should expect to be there for at least 2 hours, possibly closer to 3. Awesome. Bring it on.


  1. It's an atheist and agnostic group. Some of the best and funniest people I've ever known!